Monday, February 9, 2009

M.I.A Pregnant at the Grammies

Sunday Feb 8th M.I.A performed the song "Swagga like us" at the Grammies with Jay-Z, T.I., Kanye West and Lil Wayne. The real twist is that M.I.A. performed not only pregnant but she was due that very day. That seriously worries me. I'm not sure if I'm more upset at M.I.A perfomring or the people in charge letting her go on stage. And it wasn't as if she was sitting down listening to acustics. She was up, moving around left and right, singing, and with loud music in the background. Was she even needed for the performance? I serously doubt anyone would have minded if they played a recording of her voice. I'm sure the grammies are an exciting experience, but is that performance worth the health of a child?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea she was pregnant (out of the loop i guess). It's very surprising she performed. What's the blogosphere saying about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many pregnant women are able to do pretty much everything they were able to do before they were pregnant. Neither bouncing around nor dancing are harmful to the baby, as long as it is an activity that was done before and during the pregnancy. It probably just thought she was singing to it and rocking it to sleep.

    Most people know their physical limits. Pregnant women even more so. I exercised regularly throughout my pregnancy and I didn't stop working until several days past my due date. A friend of mine actually went on a 3 mile jog the week leading up to her due date.

    I'm guessing that this was M.I.A.'s last performance for a while, and they had back up previsions if she decided it was too much or if she actually went into labor before the performance. Not to worry. I'll bet if she didn't feel up to performing, no one would have forced her into it, and she would have been just fine on the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M.I.A was very pregnant during the grammies. She started having contractions right before she performed. She is one brave woman going to a major event right before she's about to burst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know much about the negative effects that M.I.A's performance could have had on her child. However, i know that the Grammies were viewed by millions of people and that it was live. So i doubt that the people who called the shots would allow her to preform without making absolutely sure that it was safe. If not for the sake of her child, then at least to protect themselves. I mean, millions of viewers watching live as something damaging happen to a new born baby... That would have literally been the worst PR disaster that I can think of. Way worse that Janet Jackson's "malfunction" (lol yeah right) at the Super Bowl. I guess my point is, even though i have very little faith in the higher-ups in our society to act ethically, I do have faith that they will always act in a way that best ensures their self preservation... (hurt baby = really bad PR = less $)

    ReplyDelete